Friday, January 24, 2014

Why Runners are the Best!

I have concluded that runners are the best people in the world.  I am proud to say I have been a runner for over twenty years but I am not sure if I am in the same category as these people.  I am what I call a casual runner.  I run one to two days a week but shoot for three days a week.  It's mostly treadmill miles at my gym during lunch.  I run 400 miles a year.  It's not pretty.  I don't train.  I don't race regularly.  I don't have speed goals.  But I get it done.  I run to feel good.  I run to stretch my body and move.  I run for some "me time."  I run to feel just a little bit sore.  

I have mentioned before that Charlie is a "streak runner".  He runs every day. No matter what.  My brother is a marathoner.  A very dedicated marathoner.  I love that we all have our own goals and successes and we are all runners.

A few months ago, I joined the US Streak Runners Facebook group.  This group quickly became my favorite group.  The runners are so supportive.  Whether you are on day 2 or Day 4000, they are behind you. They have given me insight as to why Charlie is the way he is.  They are all crazy.  :)  I gave Charlie a book for Christmas called "Wooden and Me" by Woody Woodburn.  Woody Woodburn is a long time streak runner that is frequently on the site.  The book is about his relationship with John Wooden - one of Charlie's idols.  Could a book by a streak runner about John Wooden be any more perfect for him!  Charlie found that there were a lot of similarities between Woody and him even down to the fact that they buy their wives flowers every month and have a Purdue connection. As crazy as these people are, they are a special group.

Recently I heard about another running site called I Run 4 Michael.  It's a group that matches runners with kids and adults that can't walk or run.  You "run" in honor of them.  The purpose of the group is to build relationships with these kids.  They would like you to post to facebook a note for your match 3 days a week whether you run or not that day.  It's more about the relationship and the kids knowing that someone is out there doing this for them.  Many runners send their race swag to the kids and lots of pictures are posted.  I have signed up to be matched but the group is so popular there is a 9+ week wait list!  I am still waiting for my match.  I think it will be a good motivation for me also to keep running.  Now I am in the group and see what people are posting and doing for the kids and the difference that it makes for these kids and the runners.  I am very inspired by all.  I'm really looking forward to being matched but until then I will run for all the other unmatched kids.  These runners are a special group of people. 

I have mentioned before about my theory that runners are readers... or readers are runners.  All the regular ladies in my book club are runners.  Interesting... 

There are so many reasons why people run - "me time", for exercise, spiritual time, in honor or in memory of some one.  One cliche that I often see is that no matter how slow you are running, you are faster than the person on the couch.  :) 

This winter has been tough with the extreme cold snap.  I pulled a muscle in my hip and everything just hurts.  I'm starting to get shin splits so I know I need new shoes.  It's hard to get the motivation to run, even inside.  But I will continue to run, even if it is just once or twice a week.  Both Charlie and I look forward to a day when we can run with our kids.  I will run and I am proud to call myself a runner because runners are the best!

No comments:

Post a Comment