Monday, December 19, 2011

Peanut Brittle

I got my dad some Peanut Brittle for Christmas.  He loves Peanut Brittle.  Whenever I see Peanut Brittle, I think of him and Christmas growing up.  I often got him peanut brittle for Christmas.  Now as a parent, I am wondering if he likes peanut brittle at all.  

A few weeks ago, I was shopping with my niece.  I asked her what I should get her mom.  Her answer was "Lotion, my mom loves lotion.  I always get her lotion because she told me that she loves it when I get it for her."  I thought that was the sweetest thing I ever heard.  Because I know that my sister does not like lots of lotion.  For her daughter to honestly believe that her mom loves the lotion she gets for her tells me that my sister is doing something right.  It's not the lotion my sister loves.  It's that the lotion came from her daughter.  

Maybe my dad hates peanut brittle.  Maybe he loves it.  But I know he will love it that I got it for him...  even if I am all grown up now.  I really know what it means now.  Sometimes I feel more like his little child as a grown up than I did as a little child who couldn't wait to grow up.  Just like Laci and Calvin will always be my little children.. even when they are all grown up.  This is why I know Charlie will love the pliers and bright yellow stocking cap that Laci picked out for him for Christmas.  He will run every morning wearing that hat with pride.   

Hmmm, now I wonder how my dad feels about the Pineapple Upside Down cake we made him every year for his birthday.

No comments:

Post a Comment