Tuesday, November 6, 2012

Building Friendships

We got a note from Laci's teacher yesterday saying that she would like her to be in a small group with the school counselor called "Building Friendships".  The note said that she knows Laci can be a good friend but thinks maybe this group would help her make friends.  I hope it does.

I  was surprised by my reaction to the suggestion.  My first thought was "why does Laci need special help?"  It almost bothered me.  But then I remembered someone telling me about someone's reaction to speech therapy.  Lots of kids use it.  It's not a big deal.  But she knew someone that refused to let her son go to speech therapy.  She didn't want him singled out.  As a child, she did not like speech therapy and she didn't want her son going.  So she had her son switch schools.  That always stuck with me.

I don't want to be that mother and doesn't let her child get the support she needs and use the resources the school is providing.  This is a little thing and not a big deal.  But I will still wonder.  Is it because she is younger than the other kids?  Or just shy?  I was very shy too as a child and it took years for me to break out of my shell.  Laci will find her way too and she will find her friends. 

No comments:

Post a Comment