Friday, August 16, 2013

Good Heavens Child - The terrible threes

We are in the midst of the dreaded "terrible threes".  Ugh. That boy is full of mischief.  He is starting to test us more and misbehave more.  When I picked him up yesterday, he was in time out for throwing a toy at a friend.  We had a long talk this morning about being nice to our friends and to not get into any time outs today.  We'll see how he does today.

 
But I will give him credit.  He does do what he is told occasionally.  The other day he was getting into trouble and I was holding him still on the love seat.  Laci said he had that "evil smile".  That smile that is full of mischief.  I told him if that he got off the couch, he better go straight into his room.  I was shocked when he wiggled off the couch and did in fact go to his room with his tail between his legs.  A few minutes later, he came back into my room with his pouty face and said "I'll be good."  And he was.  

 
A few weeks ago, we were at Charlie's family reunion and he was running around like a crazy 3 year old and getting in everyone's way.  I told him to get out of the way.  Sometimes I forget he listens to me.  A few minutes later, Laci and I started looked for him.  I panicked and looked outside.  He was outside in the corner of the entryway with a crowd of people around him.  I had forgotten I had told him to get away.  But he listened and he left.  Fortunately, people were looking for who he belonged to.  It was funny because the shirt he was wearing had a fake name tag on it and people didn't think he belonged to our reunion because he was wearing the wrong name tag!  I said, he belonged.  He's a Sprunger.  I thanked people for looking out for him and was reminded that mother's everywhere are always looking out for kids, even if they don't know them.

 
At the grocery last weekend, he ran away several times.  Laci is so funny because she used my phrases.  As we were walking around the store, she kept saying "Good heavens, child" - exactly the way I say it.  I had told him we could get new bubbles because we were out.  No bubbles for Calvin.  He started to behave so by the end of the shopping trip, he got a cookie.  Unfortunately, at the check out line, he ran away again.  Fortunately, Laci was fast enough to catch him before he got to the parking lot!  I wish I could have gotten that cookie back out of him! 

 
But he is a smooth kid too.  Wednesday night, he got into trouble and kept throwing a cup of water on Laci's friend.  I scolded him.  It's hard to scold him when he is wearing a Tinkerbell sundress.  This happened twice.  I picked him up and told him that I was disappointed because he was doing what he was told not to do.  He gave me a big hug and said "Does this hug make you happy?"  That boy knows exactly how to play me! 

No comments:

Post a Comment