Thursday, May 10, 2012

Tubes In, Adenoids Out

Calvin had another set of tubes put in his ears and his adenoids taken out today.  I was not worried having gone through the tubes once before.  It was such a simple procedure and he did so well with it.  So many people I know have gone through it with their kids.  I didn't want to overreact and worry too much. 

I wasn't sure what to expect with the adenoids surgery too.  Everything went so well.  We didn't need to be at the surgery center until 7:30.  The timing was great because we could all get up and go at the regular time.  Calvin did great waiting in the waiting room.  Give that kid a Sports Illustrated or ESPN magazine and he is good to go for awhile.

He had to wear a little gown and booties and I thought he was adorable.  He did not agree.




They took him away and we waited.  It wasn't too bad.  The doctor came back and told us how he was doing.  He was doing great and she fixed him all up.  After another half an hour in recovery, they brought him back.  I wasn't ready for that.  :(  He was so sad and crying.  He hated the IV.  It took us almost an hour to get him calmed down.  The nurses kept telling us that his reaction was normal but that didn't make me feel any better.  I just kept thinking "How could I do this to my little boy!"



While we were trying to get him to calm down, I turned on the TV looking for cartoons.  What really made us laugh was that the only thing that calmed him down was basketball!  When ESPN was showing basketball highlights, he watched calmly.  We flipped all over and found hockey and golf.  Neither really held his interest.  But basketball calmed him down. 

We went home and had lunch.  I wasn't sure if he wanted to eat so I gave him Jello.  He ate all my fries.  He didn't really sleep but played all afternoon.  After we gave him more medicine, he calmed down again and you can guess what he wanted to watch - Basketball!  Fortunately Charlie has a big recorded basketball collection.  The two of them watched the 1995 Final Four Championship.  He ate great all afternoon and drank like he was supposed too.  I put him down early and so far he has only stirred once.  We are supposed to wake him up in the middle of the night for more to drink.  I hope he goes back to sleep after that!  

We really didn't notice any problems with his speech and hearing until I saw him in the hearing test and saw his tympanograph results.  The doctor kept telling us how full his sinuses are and how enlarged his adenoids were.  He's such a trooper, we didn't even know he had any issues.  I am looking forward to seeing how much better his hearing, speech and breathing will be!  :)

No comments:

Post a Comment