Wednesday, October 24, 2012

Conquering the bike... again

For Christmas, Charlie's parents gave Laci a new bike.  We weren't sure what size bike she needed.  I didn't want to get her a bike that was too small because we would just be replacing it in a few years.  She is so tall, I figured a wee bit bigger would be better than too small.  I was wrong.  It was too big.  She couldn't ride it, even with the training wheels.  The only time she would ride it is if we were taking a family walk and I could walk right next to her, holding her up.  i looked like I was walking a pony.  For most of the summer she rode her tiny bike.  The bike was getting tinier all the time.  But she could ride it fine.  
 
Last night it was a beautiful, warm fall evening.  It rained most of the day but after dinner it was dry and warm.  We decided to go for a family walk and Laci wanted to take her big bike.  I stood along side her prepared to catch her.  But she just took off and didn't need any help at all!  Away she went.  She did fall once but got right back up and took off again.  It was wonderful to see.  I was so proud of her.  I am most proud of her ability to fall and get back up.  That skill will help in her life.  As she rode, I reminded her how important practicing things are and how proud of herself she is when she finally gets it.  Our next challenge is riding without training wheels next summer.  She said she is willing to do that but only on the small bike.  Next summer is a long ways off so I think she may be ready for the training wheels off the big bike too. 
When we got home, the kids played in the leaves... next door.  No one leaves there and there were tons of pretty leaves to jump in.  I wish I had my camera because they were pretty cute in the leaves.  

No comments:

Post a Comment