Thursday, May 16, 2013

Deep thoughts at 3:00 a.m. ...

I was laying awake the other night at 3:00 a.m.  I do my best (and worst) thinking in the middle of the night.  I was working on my list of all the horrible, annoying habits I have.  We always get so down on ourselves and beat up ourselves.  I thought "I will just add this to Charlie's list of why I am a horrible, annoying person.  Everyone has that list for their spouse, right?"  Then I thought about "the list" I have for Charlie, all of his annoying, horrible habits.  The list is completely blank.  Not a thing on it.  Then I thought "That is what marriage is, right?  No list.  We don't keep score.  We don't have a list."  It was a nice thought and a nice reminder.

Of course, in the light of day, I can think of plenty silly little things for "a list": doesn't make the bed, forgets to turn the closet light off, doesn't do the dishes immediately.  But those things really aren't important.  I am thankful every day for Charlie and our marriage.

No comments:

Post a Comment