Wednesday, February 22, 2012

A small change can make a difference

I originally started writing this blog to talk about my adventures with my kids.  I feel like the last several ones have been off topic.  Bear with me, this one will be off topic too.  But it all pertains to my life and the lessons I learn in life so I suppose it is relevant to my life as a mother because that is what I am - 100% of the time.

My husband is a big man.  Truth be told, it's one of the things that I love about him.  I know you aren't supposed to list physical characteristic when describing why you love someone because it's the man on the inside I love.  But I love that he is big.  He makes me feel protected.  As one of my friends told me once, no one will mess with me because my husband can beat him up!  Unfortunately, sometimes there is a downside to being a big man.  A couple of years ago, Charlie had a physical and they told him several of his numbers were high or borderline high - blood pressure, cholesterol, triglycerides, blood sugar, etc.  I probably would have brushed it off and said "I'll make a few changes" and really do nothing.  But this sent Charlie into a panic.  He doesn't do things half way.  He gave up everything.  He clearly can't run or work out more.  He is already doing it everyday.  He already gave up all beverages but milk and water.  He has never drank in his life.  So he gave up all sweets - candy, cookies, cake, ice cream, etc.  This is a big deal for him.  He loves that stuff.  But he gave it up cold turkey.  I don't know how he does it.  In the beginning he wouldn't even have a bite of a cookie if Laci offered it to him.  Since then he has relaxed his rules and will eat a piece of cake for a birthday and maybe a bite of brownie if I make them.  But that is about it.  He rapidly dropped about 25 lbs and since plateaued out. 

He finally went back for a physical last week.  He has been dreading it.  He went to see our family doctor since his previous doctor moved.  Our doctor is pretty laid back and a "wait and see" guy.  This is a good fit for Charlie.  He has gotten to know him from all of the appointments with the kids.  He got his numbers back and everything went down - dramatically!  His triglycerides were more than cut in half.  His cholesterol was cut back a third.  His blood sugar was about the same.  The doctor reminded him that an occasional glass of red wine is okay but since Charlie doesn't drink, he joked that he wasn't telling him to start drinking!  I was very proud of Charlie.  I don't mean to sound like an ad but it's amazing what a little thing like dropping a little weight really can make a big difference. 

No comments:

Post a Comment