Friday, March 22, 2013

A "Cold" Week

Back in February, I was commenting and almost bragging about how our family avoided the colds and flus that went around this winter.  I spoke too soon.  A few weeks ago, we were hit!  It started small.  I picked Calvin up on a Friday and he was sniffy and clearly not feeling well.  Runny nose, low fever, mopey, clingy, tired.  Saturday, we all went to Charlie's parents and Laci, my MIL and I went to a nice lunch and Pinkalicious.  Then we all went out to dinner to celebrate my MIL's birthday.  Sunday he was still pretty mopey but not terrible. By Monday, he was feeling better.  Not 100% but he was done to just a runny nose.  

Sunday night, Laci woke up several times with a sore throat.  I hate sore throats and sympathized with her.  There just isn't much we can do to help her out.  I anticipated a call from the school with at least one of the kids sick.  I commented to someone at 2:30 that we might have made it through the day without "the call".  Then I sat at my desk and got the "call".  Laci had a fever of 102.  :(  So I finished things up at work and got to the school.  By the time I got there, the buses were there to pick up the kids and Laci was asleep on the nurses' table.  They had given her ibuprofen and it helped a lot. She was even feeling better enough to go to ballet that night. 

Tuesday she had to stay home.  Charlie stayed with her.  I knew she was sick because she took 3 naps that day.  It's been years since she has taken more than one nap in a day.  The Tylenol just wasn't keeping the fever away.  We debated about whether we should send her to school on Wednesday or not.  She woke up feeling good.  There was a two hour delay so Charlie took her to school and picked her up after school so she had a shortened day.  She felt and looked much better.  We thought she was getting better. 

Thursday it all came back.  She looked horrible when I picked her up from school.  She had fallen asleep during homework time at afterschool care and her eyes were so red and puffy.  I wasn't sure what to do.  She fell asleep at 6:00 that night with a fever.  She woke up at 8:30 and finally ate a little.  Charlie wasn't feeling well this week too and caught this bug.  Wednesday night he got Shamrock shakes for us to "help his sore throat".  Laci and I only ate half of ours and when she woke up hungry Thursday night, we had the rest of ours.  Right after she drank hers, she started coughing... until she started gagging... and then throwing up.  I rushed her into the bathroom to calm her down.  As I was putting a new pair of pajamas on her, she threw up on the clean ones again.  Since she just ate the green shamrock shake, it came out looking exactly like it did when it went down.  I had shamrock shake all over the bathroom mat!  As I was calming her down again, I heard a scream from the bedroom - Charlie had been sleeping in the bed Laci was laying when she starting throwing up.  He didn't realize she threw up on the bed and had rolled over on it!  Looking back the whole thing was pretty comical.  I felt like a nursemaid as I spent most of the night walking up and down the stairs getting them what they needed and cleaning up after everyone.  

Friday, Charlie sent her back to school.  We're terrible parents.  But she felt better and wanted to go to school.  We were called again at 12:30 with another fever.  Now I am thinking she probably has an infection.  So he took her to med check and got an antibiotic for bronchitis.  I hate doing that and immediately heading towards antibiotics but the fever just wasn't going away.  Friday night I went out with my book club and she was half asleep on the couch when I left.  When I got back at 9, she was feeling better and getting ready for bed.  She had barely eaten all day and was hungry so I brought her dinner up to her - it was on the table where it was when I left!  And she fell asleep eating Taco Bell cheese roll ups.  

Saturday was the turn around day.  By Sunday night she was back to herself.  It did take her a few days to get used to a full day of school again and she fell asleep at 7:00 three nights in a row.  But everyone is feeling much better now.  

No comments:

Post a Comment