Tuesday, April 10, 2012

Easter Weekend


We had a really nice but busy Easter weekend.  Charlie and I took Good Friday off.  The weather has been so nice lately that I thought it would be a good day to go to the zoo, especially since it was the last week for winter rates.  My parents and brother came to visit also.  Laci was so excited about everyone coming that she woke up at 5:45.  Apparently, she didn't get the memo that she is supposed to sleep in on stay at home days... or at least until 7 or so.  My parents got to my house around 1 and by 1:30 we were off to the zoo.  Unfortunately, no nap plus lots of excitement led to a complete meltdown at the zoo.  Laci was so excited that she just went berserk.  After her breakdown, I got her calmed down and the rest of the visit was nice.  Plus, I got a nice arm workout by carrying her around for 20 minutes while she screamed.  She stayed up late that night so she could read to Grandma and show Grandpa the stars and planets outside.  
 
Calvin enjoying the animals

A calmed down Laci hidden in the snake. 
I love this picture.

All the excitement Friday lead to Laci sleeping in on Saturday.  By sleeping in, I mean 7:30.  We decided to go to the Easter Egg Hunt at the kids daycare at 11.  I was really disappointed.  Usually, events at their school are really well done and we have a good time.  This time, it was almost too organized and scheduled.  The flyer said 11:00 a.m.  So I assumed the egg hunt would be near 11 and the crafts and activities would be after that and home by 12:00 for Calvin's nap.  Unfortunately, 11 was just the gathering time, following by lunch at 11:30, crafts from 12:00 - 2:00 with the egg hunt at 1:30.  I had not planned on a 3 hour event so we left after the lunch.  At least we got some hot dogs out of the deal.  
 

A big bump on the forehead is all Calvin got
at the Easter Egg Hunt.  :(


That afternoon, we planted my garden, colored Easter eggs, made cookies and went to the park.  By evening, I am not sure who was more tired - the kids or Grandma and Grandpa.  

Sunday morning was Easter.  We have never really played up the Easter bunny.  I think my parents were surprised that we didn't make a big deal about it.  But we did set out Easter baskets and hid plastic eggs with candy.  That morning when Laci woke up, I told her "Happy Easter.  Do you remember what happened on Easter?"  Her response  "Jesus died."  "No, that was Friday. What happened on Easter Sunday."  Her response "Jesus wasn't where they had put him because he was up with God."  I loved that that is what Easter means to her right now more than the Easter bunny.  Then we went downstairs to see Easter Baskets and find eggs.  
 
All dressed up!  So spiffy. 
He's my sharp dressed man.

Sunday church was so crowded but we got there early.  Calvin walked right down to his Sunday school room, got a play vacuum out, went back to the hallway and walked down to the donut room.  He was not happy when he was told it wasn't donut time yet.  Laci refused to go to Sunday school.  But she refused to go to church also.  Charlie finally took her again half way through the service.  Her teacher is so good with her and understands.  After church we went home and had a big Easter dinner and my parents and brother went home.  It was a busy weekend and we spent the rest of Sunday just recooperating.  The kids were wiped out.  They got some new outside toys (jump rope, bubbles) but it was too windy to play outside.  My parents gave them a kids picnic table that Laci is thrilled about.  It warmed up and we had a really nice dinner on the deck.  A nice ending to a nice weekend. 

No comments:

Post a Comment