Saturday, October 8, 2011

My inspiration...

My brother is suddenly my inspiration.  I realized this recently.  I also see the irony in this.  For years, he didn't seem to have the drive that I thought he should have.  He seemed upset.  He seemed scared to take a risk.  But in the last few years, I realized that he is now the hardest worker, most dedicated person I know.  He set goals and he achieves them.  Recently, he has become a health and fitness finantic.  It has become his passion.  He has always been a runner.  He has always been fast.  But he has taken it up a few notches.  Two years ago, he set a goal to complete a 5k in 18 minutes.  He succeeded.  This year, he set his sights on long distance.  In May, he ran his first half marathon in 1 hr 25 minutes!  He was seeded in the top, elite bracket.  I was so proud of him.  Tomorrow he is running the Chicago marathon.  I am upset that I can't cheer him on in person and watch him cross the finish line, but I will be with him in spirit and following along online.  He has altered his diet and eats health food.  He has will power.  The other day he told me that he hasn't had a french fry since July!  I am not sure I can make it two weeks without a french fry.  :)  The only other person I know that has that much will power is Charlie.  My brother has followed a training program religiously, especially through a hot summer.  18 mile runs.  20 mile runs.  8 mile short runs.  It makes my 4 miles during my lunch hour look easy.  He loves his fitness clothes and dresses like a professional.  He has a closet full of fancy running gear.  He has become "my coach" who I go to for advice. 
After the run, he is taking the train to our brother's house for a well deserved vacation and hopefully plenty of junk food.  Taking the train is something he has always wanted to do and I am so proud of him that he is just doing it. 
His plan next year is to do fun runs - trail runs, donut runs.  He may even do the stair climb I do every year.  I can't wait to see how he does tomorrow.  But no matter what, I will be very proud of him and inspired by him.

No comments:

Post a Comment