Wednesday, December 19, 2012

Christmas Cookies

I have mentioned before that I am not Martha Stewart.  There are very few domestic bones in my body.  I can't cook, decorate or bake.  But for one day a year, I try.  Saturday was my attempt.  Laci and I made Christmas cookies!  We didn't make dozens and dozens like some families do or 4 or 5 different kinds.  We made 2 dozen cut out cookies and frosted them.  We were worn out with that small amount.  We used my MIL's recipe.  We didn't even make our own frosting.  We did color it but I only had yellow and red food coloring.  We had sprinkles.  We had fun.

We did this last year too.  It was fun because Laci remembered doing it last year.  And she wanted to do it like we did last year.  Yeah - a tradition was born!  She wore my apron.  She helped me roll out the dough.  She ate lots of dough.  She cut out the cookies and could even transfer them to the cookie sheet herself.  She frosted the cookies and put sprinkles on them. 
After we made the cookies, we did chocolate dipping.  We made chocolate covered pretzel rods and chocolate covered oreos.  I dipped.  She sprinkled.  We made a giant mess.  The goodies look ridiculous but taste good.  But we talked about all the people that are important to her that she is making the goodies for - Calvin's teachers and her YMCA before and after school care workers.  We made a huge mess.  We had a great time.  
Right after I got the mess cleaned up and sat down to catch my breath, Calvin was crying from his nap.  Next year, I get to have twice the fun and twice the memories because he will get to join in.  

No comments:

Post a Comment