Friday, September 23, 2011

I love hummus

I love hummus.  This is a new development for me.  I just realized my love for hummus a few weeks ago.  This is significant for several reasons.  For one, I was a picky eater as a child and I did not like my vegetables.  I ate what my mom said I had to.  Carrots and corn were as close as I got to vegetables.  But I am not sure if I can count them because they aren't a green vegetable. Slowly, as I grew up, my tastes began to change.  I am still a pretty simple eater but I eat my vegetables.  I even want to eat my vegetables.  I even like my vegetables.  My vegetables are pretty basic - green beans, peppers, broccoli, peas.  I still refuse to eat beans.  Laci does not eat her vegetables at all.  Charlie grew up where vegetables were a big deal and they couldn't leave the table until they ate them all.  I only had to try them.  He gets upset that she doesn't eat her vegetables and worries about her health and vitamins.  Our doctor said not to worry about vitamins because most foods are fortified now so kids plenty of vitamins.  I remind him that I didn't eat vegetables and somehow I survived my childhood.  

Hummus and carrots have become my morning snack.  Several years ago, I ate carrots every morning.  But then I became so sick of carrots and stopped eating them for awhile.  Hummus has brought carrots (a vegetable) back into my life.  If you had told me as a child how much I would like broccoli and peppers now, I would not have believed you.  If you had told me 5 years ago that I would love hummus (made of chickpeas!), I would have not believed you.  But I love hummus.If I love hummus, anything is possible.  I have faith that my children too will survive their childhood and maybe someday they will love hummus too. 

No comments:

Post a Comment