Monday, July 25, 2011

A Great Weekend Getaway


We had one of the nicest weekends we have had in awhile.  We went to my parents in Naperville.  It was nice to get away.  I am always hesitant about a trip back home and it is always a little strange.  But for the most part it went well.  We were able to visit a friend of mine and her kids at the DuPage Children's Museum.  That is a great museum.  The kids had a lot of fun but it was very overwhelming.  It was a great science museum with so much to play with and build including water tables and wind tunnels.  An engineers dream.  Unfortunately, Laci went crazy because she desperately needed a nap.  My friend left a few minutes before we did and we should have taken the hint.  Right after they left, Calvin fell and ended up with a big bump on his head and we kept losing Laci.  Fortunately, I have been assured that Children's Museums have 100% retrieval rate on lost children! 




Friday night, Charlie and I went to dinner at Lou Malnati's.  It's our favorite!  We had a little ordering snafu and accidently ordered the wrong pizza but I don't think Lou Malnati's can make a bad pizza.  We walked the Riverwalk for a few minutes and then walked over to The Twisted Olive.  This may be one of my new favorite stores.  It's Extra Virgin Olive Oil and Balsamic Vinegars.  But so tasty. And you need to try every one they have.  The extra virgin olive oil makes me want to eat olives and I have never eaten olives in my life!  My mom gave me a gift card for there and I finally settled on Garlic Extra Virgin Olive Oil and Strawberry Balsamic Vinegar.  I can't wait to make dinner tonight.  


Saturday morning, we headed over to Ikea.  I love and hate that store.  I think it may be my Children's Museum.  It overwhelms me.  It's huge with so many great ideas.  I could spend hours there but we usually only have a few minutes to zip through. I have come to the conclusion that I need a Storage Committee to transform my house.

Lunch was at the All Aboard Diner in Downers Grove.  I recommend this for anyone with kids in the area.  You can sit at the bar and your food is delivered on a little train.  Laci loved it.  Calvin loved it.  The food was yummy too.  The kids were so excited every time the train went by.  Calvin got a cupcake for his birthday and somehow knew when the train with the cupcake was coming by, it was for him.  I thought it was going to explode with excitement! 




Saturday evening we went to my brother's new house in Aurora.  It was fun to see his house and have dinner there.  It reminded me so much of my first house.  With one person living there, it's so empty just waiting to be filled up.  I thought it was perfect for him.  Calvin loved the giant dog stuffed animal he had.  

One of my 2011 running goals is to run a 5k in the Chicago Area with Rob.  So we planned to do one in Elmhurst on Sunday.  But it rained.  And thundered.  And lightninged.  They postponed the start but it kept getting worse.  And did not stop.  So we waited.  And waited.  And waited.  And they cancelled the run.  That was disappointing.  But we still have 5 months to schedule something.  And there is always next year.  

On our way out of town, we stopped for lunch at Portillo's, another Chicagoland favorite.  Calvin loved everything there so much we thought he was going to eat the table.  Then it was time to head home.  The kids did well the first few hours driving.  But the last hour Calvin went crazy and cried.  Laci fell asleep as we were pulling into town.  Just like that, we were back to reality.  It was a really nice, great weekend!

More! More! More!

No comments:

Post a Comment