Saturday, January 7, 2012

The other side of things ...

Something tragic happened in our house yesterday... Tragic indeed.  Laci lost her new favorite doll - a baby Princess Ariel.  She left it at school.  We realized this at 5:45.  If it were during the week, I would have told her that she had to wait until tomorrow to get it at school.  But since it was Friday, I decided to drive back to school to pick it up on our way to Taco bell.  We arrived at 6:00, just as they were cleaning up and getting ready to close.  Charlie ran in and came back empty handed.  He and her teacher looked around the home and couldn't find it.  :(  We were so upset.  Laci had mentioned that two of the girls in her class have the same doll.  I emailed one of the girls mothers last night just to see if she may have taken it home accidently.  I felt like such a hypocrite after the whole doll fiasco of the fall.  But thought it couldn't hurt to ask.  She did not have it. So now we wait until Monday and pray the doll is there or the other girl accidently brought it home and brings it back to school on Monday. 

Laci cried when she first realized the doll was missing.  When we got home, an American Girl catelog came and she pulled out her Bitty Baby.  She was okay with sleeping with her and Giggle Baby (her previous favorite doll) that night.  We stayed up a little later because it was a Friday night.  By the time she got to bed, she was overtired.  Then the water works started when she remembered Ariel was gone.  For 30 minutes, I listened to her scream and sob.  It was all I could do to not send Charlie to the store to buy another one.  It's funny how fast she became attached to this little baby doll.  It was heartbreaking to hear her scream.  I kept telling her that Ariel is on an Adventure and she will be home.  I always tell her that I will check on her in a few minutes when I leave her room.  She asked that when I come back to check on her that I tell her again that Ariel will be back.  Is this the moment we teach responsibility and don't buy her a new doll?  Or is this when we replace it but let her know that this is a one time only deal and give a lecture on responsibility?  I don't know.  I can only hope we make it thorugh the next two bedtimes and pray the doll shows up on Monday...

No comments:

Post a Comment