Thursday, May 5, 2011

Calvin's Baptism

Calvin is going to be baptized this weekend.  I am really looking forward to it.  I know some churches don't recognize infant baptism.  Some churches dedicate their children.  Charlie didn't want to baptize the kids but it is important to me.  Dedicate or baptize, it is the same thing to me.  It is dedicating your life to Jesus Christ.  Someone once told me that an infant baptism is for the parents.  This makes sense.  I want to baptize my children for me.  I want to make that commitment for him.  I want my children to make their own commitment to God during their confirmation or similar ceremony.  I don't understand why some people say you can't be baptized more than once.  I would love to be baptized again and make that commitment again.  I am so excited to stand up in a church and give my child to God and make that commitment for him.  It is my promise to God to raise him in a church and to teach him about Jesus and God and what it means to be a member of the church. And I pray that one day he will also stand in a church and make that commitment for himself - whether he is baptized again or goes through confirmation.  

When Laci was baptized, it was a crazy weekend.  We moved the day before and her first birthday party was at the church right after it.  I remember looking forward to that moment of making that commitment and all I could think about was that I forgot to pack her "Birthday Girl" shirt for the party.  I was disappointed that I didn't get to fully commit to that moment.  I don't want to miss that moment with Calvin.  Plus, is there anything cuter than a little baby boy all dressed up!

No comments:

Post a Comment