Sunday, November 27, 2011

I can't get anything past Laci!

This was a crazy Thanksgiving week full of lots of family.  Earlier in the week, Charlie's brother and his family came to our house.  They have two boys - 5 and 2.  The kids play great together.  Charlie and I took Monday off work to spend with them.  Unfortunately, everything in town is closed Monday.  So we went to Chuck E Cheese.  The kids had a great time.  They decided to go to the Children's Museum on Tuesday and offered to take Laci.  I hate missing fun activities like this but I know it's important to let Laci do things without me sometimes. 
We decided not to tell Laci about her "field trip" to avoid the drama when she realized she was going without me.  Fortunately, she was still asleep when I left for work.  The morning went great.  Laci was excited to go.  The kids had a great time.  D&E had a long talk with the kids before they got out of the car to go over the Museum rules.  Overall the kids did well.  That afternoon, I left work early, picked up Calvin and came home.  I walked in and made a big fuss to Laci about how I went to school to pick her up and she wasn't there.  Where was she!?!  She explained that she went to the museum with her cousins.  I asked her to tell me all about it.  I loved hearing about her adventure and seeing their pictures. 
About ten minutes later, I asked her if going to the museum was a good surprise.  She looked at me and asked "You knew?"  I explained that I did know that she was going there.  She answered back, "Then why did you ask me where I was a few minutes ago?!?"  She is too sharp.  I just can't get anything past her these days.

On a related topic to me trying to let go more and let Laci do things without me and vice versa, I have found a babysitter for Saturday night.  I feel like I have hit another parenting milestone.  I called the teenage neighbor and got a sitter.  I hope this works out well.  She lives two doors down and is in 8th grade.  The other sitters I have used were older but if this works out, she will be around for several years.  The older sitters I had all moved on to college!  The next question I have is what do teenage babysitters go for these days? 

No comments:

Post a Comment