Monday, November 28, 2011

Laci's New Room - Not Decorated by Martha Stewart

I am no Martha Stewart.  I am not a decorator.  The older I get, the more I have learned that having the perfectly decorated house is not important to me.  We have lived in our "new" house for 3 years now and have done nothing to it.  Laci has been in her room for almost two years and we put a few things haphazardly on the wall and called it a day.  It seemed good enough for me. 

My MIL decided to decorate Laci's room for her birthday.  She painted the walls, bought a new rug and curtain rod and gave her a pack of new wall decals to match the rug.  On a scale of 1 - 10, having a nicely decorated house is about a 10 to my MIL.  It is about a 2 to me.  I want Laci's room to be a reflection of Laci - not my MIL and not me.  So we compromised.  She painted the room a nice pink.  I let her pick the pink because the shade didn't matter to me.  It turned out nice.  She is going to make new drapes to match it all too.  The compromise is that Laci got to decide what goes on the walls and where it goes.  I love the craziness of the room.  I am sure it is not what my MIL had in mind.  It's not even what I had in mind.  But it was done by Laci.

Here is the tour of Laci's room - done by Laci.

L-A-C-I wooden decorated letters - This is the one thing I really wanted to do for Laci and I bought her white wooden letters for her birthday.  My MIL bought her letters too and was going to paint them to match.  But I asked her if I could do the letters with Laci.  I had it in my head that they would be really cute with polka dots and stripes.  I got the paint out and kept telling Laci to do the polka dots.  After she repeatedly told me no, I remembered that the letters were hers and she could paint them any way she wants.  I love her original painted letters.  This was a good reminder to me that I need to practice what I preach about letting Laci make her own choices and be her unique self.  I added the ribbons and hung them.  They are crooked so if anyone asks, Laci did it.  :)


The quilt - This is a very special quilt for me that has always hung in Laci's room.  I found the quilt half cross stitched by my grandma.  I finished the cross-stitching.  My MIL finished the edges of the quilt.  I love that it was a gift to her by my Grandma even though she didn't know it at the time.  I love that it was made by all three of us.


The wall decals - I thought for several days as to where the wall decals should go to look the best.  I got the wall decals out and gave one sheet to Laci and I took the other sheet.  Guess which wall I did.  I love all the stickers right next to each other in one corner.  It's not what I had in mind but it's Laci's room.

The rocking chair in the corner was my grandpa's.  My grandpa died before I was born.  I have several pieces of furniture that were his and I cherish them all.  I don't have any memories of him so the furniture is all I have.


The new drapes are still being made and there are a few other things that need to be put up.  But I am happy with how it looks.  I am happy that it is her room.

I would share pictures of Calvin's room but there is absolutely nothing on the walls.  It never seemed important to me to decorate a baby's room.  He is only in there to sleep and it will outgrow it soon enough.  In a year or so, we are going to move him into his "big boy" room.  After doing Laci's room this fall, I am inspired to let him help us with his room then.

No comments:

Post a Comment