Friday, November 4, 2011

Thankful for... The Beauty of Life

The other day, I was starting to think that I am unappreciative.  Charlie was telling me that his parents went out of town the other day to look at the fall leaves.  That is quite common around here.  But I have never been into just driving around.  It seems like a waste of time to me.  The other day, someone posted on Facebook something about seeing the proof of God driving through West Virginia.  It was a nice sentiment.  I have driven through West Virginia many times so I understand what he is saying.  I wanted to respond that I have never doubted God and I just need to look around my life to see His proof.  I don't need to drive anywhere.  Of course I live in flat land.  Very flat land.  Most people around here think it is too flat.  I think it is perfect.  We drive to the East Coast about once a year and hilly and mountain-y terrain gives me anxiety!  The trees in the mountains just look like broccoli to me.   

I realized that I do appreciate the beauty of nature.  It's everywhere.  I find myself the most introspective in my car driving home.  When I look around at the trees on the side of the road, I see beauty.  Even those poor trees, not in the glory of a forest or the hills and mountains are beautiful.  The changing colors and the crispness in the air feel like fall to me.  They remind me of my childhood.  There is a certain fall-ish vibe to them.  As I was thinking this, I thought about how beautiful these trees are going to look in the spring as they are budding.  I usually take a moment when I get out of the car at daycare to appreciate the small woods next to the highway.  It is beautiful.  Even though I hate the mud stains, I love that my kids get to play in the dirt.  Yesterday, I even appreciated the concrete and asphalt roads that most people overlook.  Maybe it is the engineer in me but concrete and steel is beautiful.  Look at how strong it is.  Look at this gift we have been given to build our world.  

I have mentioned before that the time with my kids playing, walking, feeding the fish at the pond in our neighborhood are some of my favorite things to do.  They are beautiful.  It is beautiful to watch them play.  Just being quiet in my own life is how I appreciate nature.  Maybe I am heartless for not wanting to drive out of my way to "appreciate" the beauty of nature.  I am too busy appreciating the beauty of my life.   



I just realized that I am sitting here listening to one of my new favorite songs "Take the Back Road" by Rodney Atkins.  I love it because it is talking about slowing down to appreciate life.  But I am still not taking the back road home!  I am rushing home as fast as I can.  Then I'll slow down.  :)    

No comments:

Post a Comment